Information and Referral
Older adults who have questions about income, housing, social services, and issues may contact us. We will supply what information we can, and then refer you to the appropriate agency for more detailed information.
Phone Checking Services
This service is provided by the aging program with the assistance of local police departments, senior citizens centers, and volunteers. Older citizens who live alone either call the town police department, the senior citizens centers in their area, or receive calls from volunteers and the aging program office.
LCAAA can help you obtain the LifeLine service. LifeLine is an easy-to-use personal response service that ensures that older adults living at home get quick assistance whenever it is needed- 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
Think you or someone you know could benefit from Lifeline? Request Here!
Virginia Insurance Counseling Assistance Program (VICAP)
- The VICAP program is the same as your SHIP (State Health Insurance Program) Counseling. Calling 1-800 Medicare and asking for your local counselor will connect you with the VICAP counselor in your area. The VICAP program is mandated by the Centers of Medicare Services (CMS), and is federally funded.
- The VICAP counselors are concerned staff and volunteers who receive special training and supervision on health insurance counseling issues. They are not connected with any insurance company, nor are they licensed to sell insurance. Their purpose is to serve you objectively and confidentially. We help you make informed decisions about your Medicare insurance.
- VICAP counseling is provided depending on your needs, counseling can be provided by telephone or in person.
- There is no cost for this service. If they wish, clients may make a voluntary donation to their Area Agency on Aging to help defray the cost of the service.
How will VICAP help me?
- By explaining insurance benefits and helping you understand, file, or resolve problems with Medicare and claims.
- By helping you compare Medicare supplemental policies, drug plans, and Medicare Advantage plans sold in your area and that covers your specific needs.
- By providing you with information about Medicare Savings Program and Extra Help programs that help cut the cost of your medication and premiums.
How can I reach a VICAP Counselor?
If you are interested in scheduling an appointment with a counselor or get more information, or to schedule a presentation for your senior or civic group, or you’re interested in volunteering to help with our program just contact:
Phone: (434) 447-7661
A decision-support process that includes: listening to expressed preferences, values & needs, talking about options based on needs & preferences, supporting an individual to make informed choices, connecting the individual to services and following up with the individual.
Legal advice and representation by an attorney and counseling or representation by a non-lawyer to older persons with economic or social needs.